Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel


Embed this content in your HTML

Search

Report adult content:

click to rate:

Account: (login)

More Channels


Showcase


Channel Catalog


Channel Description:

BoardGameGeek features information related to the board gaming hobby
    0 0
  • 12/13/18--00:47: Le Havre
  • by Sean May

    When: Wednesday 7th November, 2018
    Where: Home, Seoul
    Who: Me

    I was in Daiso recently and saw little plastic tubs and thought they would be perfect for adding to games. When I got home I realised that Le Havre - a game I bought secondhand from someone on Facebook a couple of weeks ago - would be perfect for that. Unfortunately, I hadn't bought enough. So I went back and got more - enough for Le Havre and another pack besides. And they work very well.

    As I had the game open on the table and as I was working the night shift, I thought I'd stay up and play a solo game. I got 231 points/wealth - which seems OK from comments I'd read on BGG from other first time Le Havre 'soloists'.

    I really want to play this with people, now. It's probably not as short a game as it seems, but the quick and simple turns that gradually build up to a series of big purchases by the end of game make it seem like it would be a fun and engaging experience.

    0 0
  • 12/13/18--00:49: Le Havre
  • by Sean May

    When: Saturday 10th November, 2018
    Where: Tabletop Gaming in Korea Minicon VII
    Who: Me and Jaini

    While everyone at the minicon else went to get food, my girlfriend and I played Le Havre. This wasn't out of dedication to gaming, but because we didn't want to leave Jaini's dog alone at the venue. I persuaded Jaini to play Le Havre, which I'd recently played solo (see above).

    The competitive game has quite a different feel - and I'm sure games with more than two players are different again. You only need to get about half as much food, but, per round, you have half as many chances to collect resources and buildings.

    I feel like I did less well at this game than I had in the solo version. I especially made a mistake with cattle. I accumulated a giant stack of cattle throughout the game, making use of Jaini's abattoir only once. I managed to convert much of the resulting hides to leather and ship it, but I was left with a tower of meat that was unused at the game's end. I didn't even need food, as I'd covered that with ships.

    I won 150-something to 90-something. Jaini was especially annoyed by the loans - even though they're pretty easygoing in this game - and had -14 points at the end from unpaid loans. We did have a few turns where one or the other of us broke even at the end of the round, but then interest was due on the very first turn and we had no money - thus necessitating another loan just to pay that one coin.

    0 0
  • 12/13/18--00:56: Le Havre
  • by Sean May

    When: Wednesday 14th November, 2018
    Where: Home, Seoul
    Who: Me

    I couldn't sleep last night, so I thought I'd try to wind down with a solo game of Le Havre ... which turned into two. I got 136 and 168 points, respectively - rather down on my initial solo run of 231. I've been looking into strategies since then and may have another crack at it tonight. Seems like you really need to focus on the heavy industry and shipping at the end of the game.

    Sadly, my disappointing showing rather riled me up than wound me down and didn't help me get to sleep at all.

    0 0
  • 12/16/18--20:41: Le Havre
  • by Sean May

    When: Sunday 16th December, 2018
    Where: Zach's place, Seoul
    Who: Me, Zach, Matthew, Erik

    Jaini and I collectively brought Le Havre and Clank!, and I should probably have recommended playing Clank! instead of Le Havre. Jaini didn't play, as she had some work to work on.

    Zach, Matthew and Erik had never played Le Havre. Matthew also turned up later, so, having explained the rules to Zach and Erik, played a round or so - during which time they were surprised to learn that a round wasn't once around the table, but all the way to the end of the board (I may have forgotten to explain that) - we restarted and Matthew was given a quick crash course on how to play by the others.


    The game progressed with lots of good-natured questions, queries and joking (Zach insisted on calling wood 'turds' and clay 'meat') - which is to say, rather slowly. I also got a couple of minor rules wrong and corrected them as I checked things in the book.

    Even though the end-of-round feeding requirements are much lower in a four-player game, the economy of balancing food and resources and actions is extremely tight. None of us - apart from Erik, maybe, who won the game with lots of buildings - felt able to get an engine in motion that could do all of those things, or even one of those things, well. And when you only get one turn per round - ouch!


    As time was getting on and I had an early start the next day, I suggested cutting the game short the next time the round ended on the fourth player's turn. I came third with 54 points, but Erik won with 70-80; Matthew brought up the rear with 35. I think we still had half or 40% of the round cards to go through.

    Next time this hits the table with more than three players, I think it will be time to try out the shortened game rules.

    0 0
  • 12/17/18--06:24: New Image for Le Havre
  • by Captain Maybe

    <div>Le Havre - placing wood.</div>

    0 0
  • 12/17/18--06:24: New Image for Le Havre
  • by Captain Maybe

    <div>Le Havre - the other side of the board.</div>

    0 0

    by JohnPurdue

    New File: Le Havre Player Mat for Board Game: Le Havre

    0 0

    by number33_ak

    Fishery, Clay mound and Colliery building each give your more resoruces based on how many buildings of a certain type/symbol you own.

    So if the only building I own is a Fishery and as a main action use that building. Is the fisherman symbol inclusive of the Fishery itself? Meaning do I get to take 4 fish or only 3?

    Also in another scenario. If I own a building with a fisherman symbol and as a main action I use Fishery (own by the town or another player), Do I get to take 4 or 3 fish? (I imagine the answer to this also applies to the Clay mound and Colliery, but if that's not the case please let me know).

    My last quetions is about the Sawmill in a solo game. The back of the card has "start" next to the 1 player box, however there is no checkmark. Not sure how to interpret the card, in a solo game is the sawmill a starting building?

    Thanks in advance!


    0 0

    by afrag

    You just need that symbol, even if it’s on the same card that’s fine.

    0 0

    by gillum

    number33_ak wrote:

    My last quetions is about the Sawmill in a solo game. The back of the card has "start" next to the 1 player box, however there is no checkmark. Not sure how to interpret the card, in a solo game is the sawmill a starting building?

    Item 11 on page 3 of the rules says, "Any card that does not have a tick beside the appropriate number of players is removed from the game. Exception: If a card has the text ‘Start’ instead of a tick, it is placed with the 3 starting buildings."

    Sawmill is a start building in the 1-player short game.

    The definitive Le Havre building reference is here: Extensive Le Havre Buildings Reference and FAQ

    Here is the entry for the Sawmill.

    0 0

    by number33_ak

    Thank you everyone for the answers!

    0 0

    by drlowdon

    Playing a game of Le Havre and the first special building to come out is The Dunny, and it’s (if I read it correctly) had to be placed on top of the brickworks.

    It needs a brick to be built but we can’t make bricks until we get to the brickwork so what are we supposed to do!?

    0 0

    by davypi

    It does seem that this would be a rather unfortunate building to have flip early in a game. The only way to get it off of the top row would be to pay the $14 to buy the building which, unfortunately, doesn't really convey any benefit to owner since there is no VP differential by doing so. It is possible to get a brick from the Hardware Store, but I don't think the building is in play in the 2 player game and/or it could also be buried under the Dunny. After that, the Business Office is the only other way to get brick, but that could also be problematic to get into.

    0 0
  • 01/01/19--09:33: New Image for Le Havre
  • by alandric

    <div>Player board in 5x7 top loader</div>

    0 0

    by gillum

    Won't the town build the Dunny at its next opportunity?

    0 0

    by davypi

    True. It will clog that row for about three rounds, although it will make for an interesting game.

    0 0

    by lips85

    2018 complete edition is published?

    Or i have to wait this version?

    0 0

    by Solinete

    It was published, at least I got the spanish version that is a part from a international printing and have the base and the expansion.

    0 0

    by klbush

    Shouldn’t title be “Dunny” not Funny. Helps when others search for same question.

    0 0

    by gillum

    klbush wrote:

    Shouldn’t title be “Dunny” not Funny. Helps when others search for same question.

    If the OP goes back to the original post and edits it to change the subject (as I did for my response), I think that that should change the title of the thread.

    0 0

    by ken_ken

    Yes, you should able to buy it.

    0 0
  • 01/03/19--01:10: New Image for Le Havre
  • by isearch

    <div>Our New Years Day game of choice.</div>

    0 0

    by Jadlak

    Thanks, had a go. Even the 3 yr old was able to get into it! The older ones were asking what the building text was for, and trying to say that the zoo only gives 1/3rd per cow/fish. But they were fine once I said it was a special offer for this version ;-)

    Makes me want to develop an intermediate version to progress to next. Perhaps keeping the removal of the "offer" concept and maybe having the construction buildings pre-built and free for all.

    0 0

    by number33_ak

    Murr wrote:

    This was a mistake we made for a long time and only realized we were doing it wrong when someone was playing on the iPad and mentioned it wouldn't let him ship at the end of the game like we did.

    Understand how the building "Shipping Line" works. It only allows you to ship 2 or 3 or 4 individual tokens on your ships. This wasn't very clear from reading the description of the building until you get into the example text of the thing. This is possibly the worst part of the entire rule book to me, when you have to dig into the example to find out exactly what is meant.

    The player pays 3 energy for each of his ships that he wants to use to ship goods. Wooden ships can ship 2 goods, Iron ships 3 and Steel ships 4. Luxury liners cannot be used to ship goods. Each shipped meat, smoked fish, charcoal, hide, brick and iron earns the player 2 Francs; each cattle, bread and coal earns 3 Francs, each leather 4 Francs, each coke 5 Francs and each steel 8 Francs. Other goods can be shipped for 1 Franc each. The earnings are shown on the Shipping Line card as well as on each goods token (bottom right). A player who ships goods with more than one ship at once may pay all the energy costs together; they need not be paid separately for each ship.

    Typically, players will use 1 coke, with an energy value of 10, to provide energy for 3 ships. Leather, cattle and bread are shipped most frequently, but also coke and brick. Each good can be carried on each type of ship. A player may ship several of the same good or different goods on a single ship.


    Until we read the last sentence in that italicized part of the text carefully, we thought you could ship stacks of goods on the ships, not just individual tokens. And even then it's not entirely obvious, you just have to assume it.

    Compare it to how the description of the Bridge over the Seine building is written, and it's easy to make this mistake.

    The player may sell as many goods as he wishes. He receives 1 Franc for each upgraded good and 1 Franc for any combination of 3 standard goods (they may be the same or different goods).


    Both entries use the word "goods"

    Just my 2 cents on the question :)


    So when a boat card says it can ship 2 goods. And I have 10 cows, 10 wood and 10 wheat. Does it mean that my boat can only ship exactly 2 of any of the goods (2 cows)? Or does it mean my ship csn ship 2 types of goods (10 cows and 10 weat)?

    0 0

    by VinegarBob

    number33_ak wrote:

    So when a boat card says it can ship 2 goods. And I have 10 cows, 10 wood and 10 wheat. Does it mean that my boat can only ship exactly 2 of any of the goods (2 cows)? Or does it mean my ship csn ship 2 types of goods (10 cows and 10 weat)?


    2 of any of the goods (in your example 2 cows)

    0 0

    by grant5

    number33_ak wrote:

    Murr wrote:

    This was a mistake we made for a long time and only realized we were doing it wrong when someone was playing on the iPad and mentioned it wouldn't let him ship at the end of the game like we did.

    Understand how the building "Shipping Line" works. It only allows you to ship 2 or 3 or 4 individual tokens on your ships. This wasn't very clear from reading the description of the building until you get into the example text of the thing. This is possibly the worst part of the entire rule book to me, when you have to dig into the example to find out exactly what is meant.

    The player pays 3 energy for each of his ships that he wants to use to ship goods. Wooden ships can ship 2 goods, Iron ships 3 and Steel ships 4. Luxury liners cannot be used to ship goods. Each shipped meat, smoked fish, charcoal, hide, brick and iron earns the player 2 Francs; each cattle, bread and coal earns 3 Francs, each leather 4 Francs, each coke 5 Francs and each steel 8 Francs. Other goods can be shipped for 1 Franc each. The earnings are shown on the Shipping Line card as well as on each goods token (bottom right). A player who ships goods with more than one ship at once may pay all the energy costs together; they need not be paid separately for each ship.

    Typically, players will use 1 coke, with an energy value of 10, to provide energy for 3 ships. Leather, cattle and bread are shipped most frequently, but also coke and brick. Each good can be carried on each type of ship. A player may ship several of the same good or different goods on a single ship.


    Until we read the last sentence in that italicized part of the text carefully, we thought you could ship stacks of goods on the ships, not just individual tokens. And even then it's not entirely obvious, you just have to assume it.

    Compare it to how the description of the Bridge over the Seine building is written, and it's easy to make this mistake.

    The player may sell as many goods as he wishes. He receives 1 Franc for each upgraded good and 1 Franc for any combination of 3 standard goods (they may be the same or different goods).


    Both entries use the word "goods"

    Just my 2 cents on the question :)


    So when a boat card says it can ship 2 goods. And I have 10 cows, 10 wood and 10 wheat. Does it mean that my boat can only ship exactly 2 of any of the goods (2 cows)? Or does it mean my ship csn ship 2 types of goods (10 cows and 10 weat)?

    Does it say two types of goods or two goods? I’m continually perplexed that people think these terms are interchangeable.

    0 0

    by grant5

    lips85 wrote:

    Oh, really?? Where can i buy it??:soblue:

    ...stores? All the big online retailers have it in stock.

    If you're asking with regards to a specific country, you didn't specify which, and your profile doesn't display a flag, so that's a pretty tough question to answer. :soblue: